Since the #SushiBake craze has been taking over, here’s a no-fail, crowd winner, pantry-ready recipe!
Cheesy Spicy Tuna Sushi Bake
What you need:
- 2 cans hot & spicy tuna
- 2 cups of Japanese rice
- 2 tbsp. sriracha (or less if you don’t like it to be too spicy)
- 4 tbsp. Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Kikoman 1 tsp.
- Chili powder (for those who want it extra spicy)
- Sesame oil
- Furikake (Japanese rice seasoning)
- Quick-melt cheese
- Seaweed sheets
Optional: sesame seeds
- Cook rice
- Open tuna cans and remove excess tuna liquid
- Cook tuna over medium-high heat
- Add Sriracha and Kewpie, adjust according to preference. (We add more mayo to make it creamier!)
- Add kikoman and chili powder (for those who want it extra spicy)
- Drizzle with sesame oil
- Mix well and set aside
- Set up your layers!
- FIRST LAYER:
- Once rice is done cooking, get your square pan and spread rice for the first layer
- Add tuna mix, spread evenly
- Add quick melt cheese chunks (add as many as you like, we made it in chunks, but you can put grated cheese for more even distribution)
- Sprinkle Furikake
- SECOND LAYER:
- Spread another layer of rice
- Add tuna mix
- Add cheese
- Sprinkle furikake
- Drizzle with japanese mayo
- Top with sesame seeds (optional)
9. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts
10. Serve hot along with seaweed sheets!
- You can remove the tuna after heating before mixing the other ingredients. We cooked ours to infuse the flavors but either way works!
- We like our tuna mix saucy so we leave some of the canned tuna oil in the mixture. It also makes the rice extra flavorful!
- Adjust your Sriracha + Kewpie ratio according to preferred taste
- Use grated quickmelt cheese for a more even cheesy experience!
- We used seasoned Korean nori sheets